Jimmy Persson and Patric Larsson, they plan to save the carp in Kumlasjön and are happy to receive all the carp would be killed.
It was thought that all carps in Kumlasjön were killed. But instead they will be given away to Stripa Carp Fishing Club who want to plant the fish in their own lake. Kumla Municipality and County Board has given the thumbs up.
In early October, it was announced that the artificial Kumlasjön, in central Kumla, would be emptied of all its water. The reason is that the mirror carp, of the municipality, planted in the lake illegally, is an invasive species in the area.
Stripa Carp Fishing Club leases a large pond in Guldsmedshyttan and it is precisely mirror carp, available in Kumlasjön, they are looking for.
“Save Kumla Sea carp”
After club activities, relatively recently, was launched there have been two insertions with fish, one two years ago and earlier this year.
– But it is only about about 60-70 stycken, the latest of which on insertion 24 fish was about carp between 3-6.5 kilos each, The lake is relatively large so we would need more fish and then felt it unnecessary to Kumla want to kill just like that fish, we are interested in, says Patric Larsson, which is one of the driving of the club.
The crux of the matter is that the fish in Kumla probably planted by someone or some illegal.
– Since we do not know the state of health of the fish, we ourselves must pay for an analysis of SVA. It costs some so therefore we started a collection to help keep the fish alive and do some good for us because it is a very popular sport fish, explains Patric.
The collection is called “Save Kumla Sea carp”, aiming to reach 12 000 € and in writing, to the top of the 6 440 kr, just four days after the collection started.
The 16 000 SEK to put in 24 karpar
Patric and his club have been given permission by the County Council and the Municipality of Kumla pulling up the carp from Kumlasjön needed to send the test to SVA, wanting Submitted 30 pieces in order to assess its condition.
– Both we and the County Board agree that the assessment of the condition of the fish is needed before we release it in our lake. But I would still say that there is almost no chance that the fish is sick.
The water level in Kumlasjön has fallen 60 cm since they began emptying the last week.
Do you want to take with you all the fish from Kumlasjön?
– Ja, although we do not really know how many there are here. (When the municipality was fishing in Kumlasjön last summer drew up 400 karpar, the biggest was on 40 cm)
The insertion Stripa Carp Fishing Club made this year 24 fish cost 16 000 kr, it was just bigger carp. The size of the fish in Kumlasjön is unclear.
– The hope is that there are a bunch of bigger carp here in Kumlasjön with, and we believe enough that it makes, states Patric.
Discovered at the low and sunbathed
When Patric visited Kumlasjön together with club-mate Jimmy Persson talked there with Miriam Holmberg, who is the coordinator of Kumla City Park. Miriam and the municipality is in favor of the initiative
– It's good that it dissolves in this way. The carp is a bit special, you can not plant it out anyway, but it is very strict with permission, Therefore, we thought it was best to kill it instead of giving it away to someone who is not authorized or serious, but this club is very serious.
At slaughter of the fish would clubbed or cut the neck of the.
The carp in Kumlasjön discovered three years ago, before it was thought not that there were no fish in the lake at all.
– They were discovered when they were sunbathing here at the pier, they like to do it when the weather is nice, ends Miriam Holmberg.
Kumla City Gardener Kristina Sjöö of carp issue.
The grass carp is indeed planted in the lake in Kumla Sjöpark (200 meters from Kumlasjön) to eat water plague and other types of algae and sea grass that grows there and thus help keep the lake open and improve water quality. The do not multiply in the lake. Grass Carp has not planted into Kumlasjön. However, it has previously been ornamental carp around the late 90s / early 00s. These have since died.
Mirror carp however, live in a different way. They move down to the lake bottom segments and stir it up with their movements, causing the lake becomes cloudy. It also contributes to eutrophication of the lake through their droppings, faster the more they become. They have multiplied greatly since they were first discovered a few years ago.
Text & photo: They plan to save the carp in Kumlasjön: Anders Björk